Fargo VA Health Care System
Celebrate World Health Day!
World Health Day is a global campaign that is celebrated on April 7th to mark the anniversary of the founding of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1948.
On this day we urge you to join in the global celebration and take action in promoting health and well-being. Each year World Health Day gives everyone an opportunity to take part in a single health challenge.
This year's topic is Aging and Health with the theme "Good health adds life to years". The focus is on how good health throughout life can help us lead full and productive lives.
Aging well concerns each and every one of us, and will determine longevity. Therefore it's imperative that we are proactive about our health in order to ensure we enjoy our later years.
Here are some tips to help you age your best:
- Maintain a healthy weight: Check your body mass index and your waist circumference, to ensure you are maintaining a healthy weight.
- Eat well as you age: Increase your fiber, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Exercise for healthy aging: Focus on flexibility, endurance, strength, and balance.
- Get enough sleep: Develop nighttime rituals to help with good sleep hygiene and get quality sleep.
- Learn to cope with change: Focus on things you are grateful for, express yourself, accept things you can't change, take action, and deal with life's changes in a positive way.
- Keep your mind sharp: Try variations on what you know (games, puzzles, cards), try something new each day, and take a class, in order to challenge yourself and your brain.
- Manage Stress: Do everything you can to eliminate unhealthy stressors in your life. You can decrease the amount of poor quality food you eat, quit smoking, drink only in moderation, and manage emotional stress.
The good news is it's never too late to start caring about your health. No matter how old you are or how unhealthy you've been in the past, caring for your body will have enormous benefits at any stage in life. Take action today by making some simple changes to improve your health and your longevity. Happy World Health Day!
(Article provided by the VA Health & Wellness Team)